Wednesday, February 22, 2006
Tonight's a big night for me entering the Club Contest at one of my Toastmasters clubs for the International Speech Contest and I won. I just want to have an extra chance to practice my speech and I can't believe that I won. That means I will go to the Area Contest for the International Speech Contest and up against many much better speakers. According to husband though, I am one step closer to the International Speech Contest. Haha... thanks for your encouragement.
How to transform to a better self (Here is my new speech title and revised speech from Move Out of Your comfort zone)
Fellow toastmasters and guests, good evening! Are you comfortable there, sitting where you are feeling safe, easy and no stress? Imagine these with me for a moment. Imagine that you are an infant in your parent’s arms, do you feel the comfort? Imagine that you are learning to walk, around the sofa, do you feel the comfort? Imagine that you are learning to swim near the edge of the swimming pool, do you feel the comfort? For me at this moment, I feel the comfort speaking behind this lectern. Many of my friends encouraged me time and time again, “Amy, move out from that lectern”. (As I stepping out, I will say) Don’t you want to transform to a better self? The truth is that if you want to be better than where you are now, you must move out of your comfort zone.
Last year this time, running was not in my comfort zone. I used to do my two miles walk every morning. Walking is in my comfort zone. Something happened to me last May when my daughter invited me to run with her for a half marathon held in last September. I never dreamed that I can do thirteen miles run. However at that moment, I wanted to spend more time with my daughter, I wanted to build a stronger body, and I wanted a newer challenge. I took my first step, accepting the challenge, moving out of my comfort zone. I started the training right away, running two miles at first, and slowly building on one mile each week. By August, I reached my goal, able to run thirteen miles. I built up my endurance and I have yet to build up my speed, kicking higher and stretching farther each time. I accomplished a seemingly impossible goal. I am sure that you have dreams and goals and hope to pursue them. Take your first step moving out of your comfort zone.
Two years ago, speaking was not in my comfort zone. I would much rather get busy with my hands doing than with my mouth talking because I took these two old sayings to heart for a long time: Silence is Gold and The righteous women are the silent ones. Although I still believe they hold true in many situations, something happened to me when I attended one speechcraft class’s graduation, I watched and listened to these young adults presenting their graduation speeches. They spoke with clear and organized thoughts; they spoke with vocal variety and hand gestures they spoke with inspiration; and they spoke so well that I asked myself why as a mature adult I cannot express myself with such confidence. As if these two instructors were reading my mind, at the end of the graduation, they encouraged and urged me to sign up for the next speech craft class. They said, “Amy, you can be a good speaker too if you are willing to take time to develop your communication skills and we can help you.” With no hesitation, I signed my life away. I have moved out of my comfort zone speaking in front of the class every Sunday for eight weeks. I felt the improvement but far from comfort. Especially after a break, I felt the uneasiness all over again so I signed up for the speechcraft class the second time and joined two TM clubs in order to have lots of opportunities to practice speeches and to improve a little by little. In what areas, do you want to be better, in cooking, singing, playing tennis, swimming, or dancing, whatever? Take small steps moving out of your comfort zone.
(As I moved back to the lectern, I say) Imagine if you have stayed where you were comfortable would you still be in your parent’s arms? Would you still be walking around the sofa? Would you still be swimming at the edge of that swimming pool? However, you are not. Somehow you have grown and moved out of your comfort zone. As we are growing older, sometimes we have to make conscious choices. For me, I would not have known that I can run a half marathon if I didn’t move out of my comfort zone. I would not speak in front of you now if I did not move out of my comfort zone. Comfort is good and where you are is nice. (Move out again and say) Don’t you always want to be better; it’s time for you to move out of your comfort zone. Beyond that there are much greater success and a better self waiting for you. Madam contest master.
Miercoles, Febrero 22, 2006
How to transform to a better self (Here is my new speech title and revised speech from Move Out of Your comfort zone)
Fellow toastmasters and guests, good evening! Are you comfortable there, sitting where you are feeling safe, easy and no stress? Imagine these with me for a moment. Imagine that you are an infant in your parent’s arms, do you feel the comfort? Imagine that you are learning to walk, around the sofa, do you feel the comfort? Imagine that you are learning to swim near the edge of the swimming pool, do you feel the comfort? For me at this moment, I feel the comfort speaking behind this lectern. Many of my friends encouraged me time and time again, “Amy, move out from that lectern”. (As I stepping out, I will say) Don’t you want to transform to a better self? The truth is that if you want to be better than where you are now, you must move out of your comfort zone.
Last year this time, running was not in my comfort zone. I used to do my two miles walk every morning. Walking is in my comfort zone. Something happened to me last May when my daughter invited me to run with her for a half marathon held in last September. I never dreamed that I can do thirteen miles run. However at that moment, I wanted to spend more time with my daughter, I wanted to build a stronger body, and I wanted a newer challenge. I took my first step, accepting the challenge, moving out of my comfort zone. I started the training right away, running two miles at first, and slowly building on one mile each week. By August, I reached my goal, able to run thirteen miles. I built up my endurance and I have yet to build up my speed, kicking higher and stretching farther each time. I accomplished a seemingly impossible goal. I am sure that you have dreams and goals and hope to pursue them. Take your first step moving out of your comfort zone.
Two years ago, speaking was not in my comfort zone. I would much rather get busy with my hands doing than with my mouth talking because I took these two old sayings to heart for a long time: Silence is Gold and The righteous women are the silent ones. Although I still believe they hold true in many situations, something happened to me when I attended one speechcraft class’s graduation, I watched and listened to these young adults presenting their graduation speeches. They spoke with clear and organized thoughts; they spoke with vocal variety and hand gestures they spoke with inspiration; and they spoke so well that I asked myself why as a mature adult I cannot express myself with such confidence. As if these two instructors were reading my mind, at the end of the graduation, they encouraged and urged me to sign up for the next speech craft class. They said, “Amy, you can be a good speaker too if you are willing to take time to develop your communication skills and we can help you.” With no hesitation, I signed my life away. I have moved out of my comfort zone speaking in front of the class every Sunday for eight weeks. I felt the improvement but far from comfort. Especially after a break, I felt the uneasiness all over again so I signed up for the speechcraft class the second time and joined two TM clubs in order to have lots of opportunities to practice speeches and to improve a little by little. In what areas, do you want to be better, in cooking, singing, playing tennis, swimming, or dancing, whatever? Take small steps moving out of your comfort zone.
(As I moved back to the lectern, I say) Imagine if you have stayed where you were comfortable would you still be in your parent’s arms? Would you still be walking around the sofa? Would you still be swimming at the edge of that swimming pool? However, you are not. Somehow you have grown and moved out of your comfort zone. As we are growing older, sometimes we have to make conscious choices. For me, I would not have known that I can run a half marathon if I didn’t move out of my comfort zone. I would not speak in front of you now if I did not move out of my comfort zone. Comfort is good and where you are is nice. (Move out again and say) Don’t you always want to be better; it’s time for you to move out of your comfort zone. Beyond that there are much greater success and a better self waiting for you. Madam contest master.
Miercoles, Febrero 22, 2006
Comments:
Post a Comment